01308 488066

Tax advice for older peopleWhat sort of problems will Tax Help deal with?

Any personal tax problem, no matter how complex (or minor) it may seem. You can have your PAYE notice of coding checked, or get help with form filling, reclaiming an overpayment of tax or replying to a letter from HMRC. You may need reassurance and peace of mind. We understand that many elderly people may not have the confidence to talk with officials, or perhaps are vulnerable or confused by tax matters.

What does it cost?

Nothing, if you have a gross income of up to £20,000 a year or thereabouts and you are close to 60 or older. Those caring for an eligible older person, whether family, friend or professional, may also request help on their behalf. Power of Attorney isn't necessary.

As a guideline, a low income is up to about £380 a week before tax for a single person - equivalent to £20,000 per year.

Where we work

Tax Help for Older People operates right across the UK - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Who are our volunteer tax advisers?

They are all tax professionals who are giving their time and skills to Tax Help for free. They act totally independently of both HMRC and the firms they work for and provide a confidential service. All our tax advisors provide a caring, friendly service that is jargon-free and tailored to an individual client’s needs.

How do I get help?

Very simply. Just telephone the Tax Help lo-call helpline on 01308 488066. If the phone is engaged, or the office closed, please leave your name and telephone number on the voice-mail and Tax Help will call you back. Or you can contact us via email, post or the website enquiry form.

Our postal address:

Tax Help for Older People
Unit 10A
Pineapple Business Park
Salway Ash
Dorset DT6 5DB

Our email address: taxvol@taxvol.org.uk

The Tax Help for Older People telephones lines are open to clients every weekday between 9am and 5pm.

What will happen?

If you telephone, you will speak directly to an adviser who will seek to resolve your tax problem with you over the phone. We will establish your own personal client advice record on our database so that any of our advisers knows your details if you call again. (We will never share your personal details with anyone outside of the Charity). If your problem is complex or you would benefit from a more direct tax support service, then we will arrange for you to visit one of our local tax surgeries in your area or have a home visit from one of our expert tax volunteers.

Whatever the problem, we will work with you until it resolves the tax issue to your satisfaction and you are always free to call us again if further tax issues arise.

If you are under 60 or your query is concerning self employment rather than pension related issues please contact our sister charity TaxAid.  Their helpline number is 0345 120 3779 (Monday-Friday from 10am to 4pm).