01308 488066

I was registered blind last year, can I claim the Blind Person’s Allowance?

In England and Wales providing you have been registered as severely sight impaired (SSI) and been given a registration number by your local authority you can claim the allowance. Beware because there are two registers and you must be registered SSI. In Scotland and Northern Ireland being registered blind means not being able to undertake any work for which eyesight is essential. The HMRC helpline number is 0300 200 3301. It is possible to backdate the allowance for one year and also to transfer it to your spouse or civil partner if you are not a taxpayer.

Comments are closed.